Thursday, December 24, 2009

Deathsong Chronicles - Prelude 2

Upon arriving in Rhapsodia, the place was in a state of excitement. Maybe it was because of the four teens' arrival, but everyone was jumpy. Then the reason was revealed. It seems that a legendary soul warrior was present in the school.

They made their towards the great hall, where the congregation of people were appalling. Particularly girls.

"Oh my...!" gasped Emily. It was Ruby, a legend of sorts, with legendary strength, looks and charms. Emily was a big fan of him. "Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!"

Xepher pulled Emily by the hand through the crowd, forcing their way to the front. "Hey, uh, Mr. Ruby! My friend here is a big friend of you. She'd like your autograph!" Ruby glanced around, and raised an eyebrow as he met Emily's eyes. She blushed so deeply Xepher could physically feel the heat.

"Where'd you like me to sign on? Although I came here to visit my friend, not having autographing sessions." said Ruby with a grin. Emily was in all of a dither. "Oh, oh! Here...!" she produced her set of nunchakus and held it out to him. He signed it with everlasting ink, and she shrieked in delight. As she ran off, Ruby commented to Xepher,"You're friend seems very excited to see me. As the rest of these girls here. Not that I'm complaining. What's your name?" He held out his hand.

Xepher took the hand and shook it. "Xepher. I hear that you are so very powerful. Can I spar with you?"

Ruby chuckled. "Ok...in fact, lets go now! Rhapsodia happens to have a large space for sparring." Right at that moment, a raised voice cut through the crowd. "All students, please return to your classes immediately. Autographing sessions are after lunch!"

Ruby shuddered. "Hey, Soroga. I came here for a chat, not to do autographs." The other man, apparently the master of the school, shook his head and laughed. "To give the students a treat. So many of them accomplished marvellous achievements, like slaying a hydra!" Then he saw the four newcomers. "Ah. You must be the kids that Gramski picked up! Welcome to Rhapsodia. I hope you'll find Rhapsodia a ni-" Ruby cut across him."Soroga, where's that sparring place again? This one here, Xepher wants to spar with me."

"Spar?" Soroga looked doubtful. "This way, then, if you please." He led the way to a room of gigantic porportions, one that could fit several cathedrals in with ease. "Here, is the sparring room. What kind of scenario would you like to spar in?"

Xepher thought awhile, and replied:" Uh...just a basic place with a few obstacles would do, if it is possible." Soroga raised his voice slightly, and said:" Computer, activate wastelands scenario."

The room instantly changed into a wasteland, with rocks and boulders, and the occasional skeleton littered around. Xepher conjured his sword, and waited for Ruby's move. Ruby deftly drew his massive broadsword, and lunged. Xepher parried and dodged, but could'nt get a hit in.

Then, Xepher thought of a trick he utilized to great effect in the past. He flung his sword to Ruby, who dodged out of the way. The sword clanged yards away. Ruby grinned, but Xepher dived to his feet and pulled, hard. They both came tumbling down to a heap.

Xepher slammed a fist into Ruby's wrist, making the latter reflexively lose his grip on his sword. Seizing the opportunity and the sword both, he hefted the blade up, and was about to stab down, when he remembered it was just a practice match. His hesitation and the sheer weight of the sword made him stumble.

Using the same move, Ruby wrenched his blade out of Xepher's grip. He was straddling Xepher and was about to twist his neck when Xepher flipped around. Hands on Ruby's throat, he began to squeeze, when suddenly the other three pulled him off.

"I...I'm sorry! I did'nt mean to try to kill you. I just..." stuttered Xepher as Ruby got up and walked over. He squatted down next to Xepher, who was sitting on the ground, restrained by the others. Ruby laughed hard. "It seems that I've found my second in command!"

This stung Xepher. "I don't see what rules make the winner second." said Xepher darkly. "Xepher..." began Soroga warningly. "No, it's all right. He doesn't understand. I come, Xepher, to search for a person willing to take me on, and yet win. I come to take a second in command under my wing, as I storm the Demon Strongholds in the human world. And you four are strong, I can sense. This is an invitation, if you'd accept it."

All present except the speaker was stunned. "Storm the demon strongholds?" muttered Xepher. Jennifer it was who spoke up first. "It's a good opportunity. And we'd gain much prestige if we suceed, and we're but younglings. I'd say we go with him."

"Huh. If you say so." replied Shadowz. The other two agreed too. "And so, we set out. Soroga, if you need anything before we go, just say so." said Ruby.

"No. I don't need anything. Good luck!" was the reply as the five walked out of the gates. Before leaving, though, Ruby left a stack of autographs for Soroga. "Give them out, when I'm gone."

0 of people's words: