Night. Other than the soft calls of the various nocturnal animals, the light zephyr whistling, and the creaking of the tough leather armor of the patrolling mage slayers, nothing was heard around the Temple of the Ellyna.
Three observers carefully concealed in the foliage, scoping out the patrol routes of the soldiers. With minuscule signals, they moved, massive broadswords over the backs of two, a dagger in the third. They moved with deadly intent, and surely no one could stand against them.
===========================================================================
The guard walked past his comrade, giving a slight nod in greeting. They continued their opposite patrolling, when suddenly a soft, strangled cry muffled by something sounded behind the guard. Whirling around, he did not see his comrade. Reaching for his radio cautiously, he dialled the frequency of the headquarters.
He never got to finish, a dagger sliding across his throat from behind. He fell soundlessly.
The three shadows moved in the temple. The one with the dagger moved up to the roof, to take out snipers, while the other two moved through the shadows. They drew their massive blades, one an ebony runeblade inscribed with red runes, the other a mithryl blade sharpened to shocking keenness.
The snipers on the roof did not stand a chance, Felicia dashing through them and slitting their throats with absurd ease. She grinned as the last one fell.
Snipers are clear. Felicia sent with a mental pulse at the other two. Go on in. I'll take the other patrols.
Kaffleen nodded silently. Acknowledged. Moving in to the Tree now.
Several minutes later, having left a bloody trail of maimed corpses, Kaffleen and Ristaccia arrived at the said chamber containing the sacred Ellyna. But it was withered, and looked as if it did not have much time left.
Moving towards it, they suddenly heard a sound behind them. Spinning around with reflexes born from millenia of training, they dropped into a fighting crouch.
Xepher walked out to them. 'Easy. It's just me. Hurry up and get the seed, we're running out of time.'
They were puzzled at his appearance, but walked up to the Ellyna all the same. Reaching up to touch it's trunk, Kaffleen relaxed.
The tree's branches shook frantically, as if to warn them of some immense danger. Then, Felicia leapt from the open ceiling, diving at Xepher with her powerful kick.
He dodged and hissed. Kaffleen narrowed his eyes and fired a magic bolt at him. He hissed again and suddenly shadows seemed to cover him. It dissipated into a distortion of a human, a shadowy figure with demonic wings and red glowing eyes.
'You got me. I give you that. But I will be back!' the death knight flew up and away.
Ristaccia made to fire a fireball at the fleeing monster, but Felicia blocked her. You want to fire a beacon for the slayers to come?' She grinned.
At this time, Kaffleen took the seed from the Ellyna. 'I've got it. Who was that?'
Felicia's expression clouded with thought. 'Probably the changeling death knight, Nero. He can shift forms to any living being.'
The other two just nodded, and exited the Temple with relative ease. They hurried on their way to their destination, the Fountain of Eternity. There they would revive the seed and return it to this very ground. No matter what the cost.
==========================================================================
Jennifer sighed. It wasn't the first, nor would it be the last. Despite seeing her daughter's diligent training under Felicia, she still couldn't shake the worrying feeling of dread.
Shadowz clapped her on the shoulder. 'She'll be fine. And she's with two of the finest soul warriors alive.'
Jennifer nodded. 'I know...but I have this...feeling of...dread. I don't know why, but I don't like it.'
'And that should be the sign of a caring parent.' said a new voice. They turned around to find Carolyn, back from hunting mage slayers. It was her hobby, and no one bothered to discourage her from it. Turning to Shadowz, she asked,'Where is Xepher? I've got news he has to hear.'
'Somebody mentioned me?' Xepher flew in from the window. A bunch of herbs were in his hands. 'I was out gathering medicinal herbs. What is it?'
Carolyn nodded, and began,'You know that there is a death knight in charge of the mage slayers, yes? Well, I've identified him from scrying at the three you sent to the temple. He's the changeling, Nero. He tried to masquerade as you, Xepher, to trick them. But Felicia saw through the illusion.'
Xepher frowned. 'I see.'
Shadowz got up, walking over to the window, then pulling the curtains shut. He snarled.
'What...?' began Jennifer when she scented it too. A distinctly sulphuric smell wafted into the room. 'Is that...molten lava?'
Xepher drew his blade. 'I don't know...' he suddenly dashed to the door and yanked it open. Outside was a wounded Sieghart, with burns all over his limbs.
'Sieg!' shouted Xepher. He cast a healing spell to heal the other, and made him sit down on the bed.
Sieghart peered at him, and gasped out blood. Wiping it away, he grunted. 'I've got a lot of things to tell you...Xepher...'
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Dirge of the Afterlife - Chapter 3 Temple of the Ellyna
Slashed out by ɌʒʠɄɸʒɱ Đʒɒʡɦʂʘɳɠ at 11:59 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 of people's words:
Post a Comment