Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dirge of the Afterlife - Chapter 1 A New Beginning

Three thousand years after the Cataclysm, the new world was being built. Virtually all traces of magics wiped out. Those mages or soul warriors too careless to show signs of magic were hunted down by so-called mage slayers.

Over the millenia, the mage slayers have grown in strength and technology.From basic swords, axes and spears of the old world, they have evolved, wielding new-fangled 'guns' that shoot high-speed steel projectiles with lethal force.

Several more soul warriors fell before these guns, unable to deflect the bullets. The rest have gone into total hiding.

Rursus was modernized, and the old seals were weakening. The seals that kept the Shadow's legions at bay were close to shattering. The reason? The sacred tree of the Ellyna was dying, with it it's enchantments.

The seed would have to be renewed. It cried out silently in agony and sorrow, knowing that no soul warrior would come and save it. The mage slayers had laid siege to the temple of Ellyna, sealing all from it.

And if it failed, so would the barriers. And the Shadow would encroach again.
===========================================================================
'Why? Why can't I use these tricks?' asked a petulant teenage girl. She was called Rachel, and she was an average human with an average life. Or so she thought, when precisely as she reached the tender age of fifteen, she gained abilities to do things physically impossible.

'Because, my girl,' started her mother, 'This is forbidden in the society now. It is called magic. I don't know why you are cursed with this talent, but I certainly don't want you to show it. Because if you do, I won't be able to protect you from the mage slayers.'

'......I see.' said Rachel in a small voice.

Suddenly there was the sound of the window shattering. Quickly turning towards the window, the two started as they saw swarms of heavily-armed mage slayers. Then one of them fired a shot straight at Rachel's mother, killing her instantly.

Rachel gasped as the same soldier aimed at her. Right before the finger pulled the trigger, his arm was sliced off. He gaped and yelled in shock. The other units quickly dropped into defensive stances.

To no avail. With quick, brutal efficiency, a shadowed figure danced through their ranks, laying waste to the battle hardened soldiers with absurd ease.

'Hurry! We must leave!' said the new figure, twirling her broadsword clean of the mage slayers' blood.

Rachel hesitated, and backed away. 'What...I don't understand...'

The woman sighed. 'Sorry I am about this...' she lashed out with a fist, knocking Rachel out with a single, well-aimed blow.
===========================================================================
'Ugh...'

Rachel was dizzy, disoriented and confused. She lay there for a few more seconds, then suddenly sat up as everything rushed back in a horrific series of images and sounds. Window shattering. Mother dying. Soldiers ripped apart. Being knocked out.

'Lie down.' said a voice soothingly. 'It's all right.'

'No...my mother...' whimpered Rachel, tears pooling in the corners of her eyes.

The woman sighed. 'She's gone. My condolences. But you would have been, too, if not for my timely rescue. The mage slayers kill without discrimination.'

Rachel sobbed for a few moments more, then composed herself. Somewhat. 'Why kill me? I'm...not a mage...'

'You are the last of your bloodline, of soul warriors. It is why they come for you, They can detect magic with a special stone called the Jade Stone. This is why I must teach you to control your magics, before they can reach you and kill you.' answered the woman. 'By the way, Rachel, I'm called Ristaccia.' She offered her hand.

'I see...' Rachel wiped her eyes. 'I will follow you, Ristaccia, if only to exact my revenge on the bastards.' They clasped hands. 'Let's begin.'

0 of people's words: